It is a fact Prescott, Arizona, is an excellent destination for a vacation. People visit Prescott from all parts of the country (and the world) to visit our beautiful town. Buy, what if you are a Prescott resident and opting out of a staycation this year and vacationing elsewhere? While you are away, there are simple strategies that you must take to ensure your home is safe while you are gone.
Before you leave town, there are a few safety tips to keep your home and possessions safe while you’re gone.
Often in the prep time for a vacation, people neglect to take simple steps to protect themselves from becoming victims of theft or vandalism.
You’ve probably covered your bases, but just in case, here are ten necessary precautions you can take when leaving for a vacation:
- Have someone collect your mail and newspaper daily. If you cannot have someone pick up your deliveries, have the Post Office hold your mail and put your newspaper subscription on a vacation hold.
- Do not draw attention to something different at your home; leave shades and blinds in regular positions.
- Purchase inexpensive timers from the hardware store and put at least two lights and a radio on automatic timers.
- Have someone leave trash at your curb on garbage collection day. Even though arranging for someone to set out your trash may be challenging, this detail catches the thief’s attention.
- Have someone park a car in your driveway occasionally. If you leave your car outside, arrange to have it moved sometimes.
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbor in case of an emergency. Inform the neighbor about where you are going and your expected return date. Leave them a way to contact you in case of an emergency.
- Lock all windows and doors before you go. Remember to double-check the basement and garage doors.
- On extended trips, have someone maintain your landscaping (grass mowed, leaves raked, etc.)
- Consider turning off your home’s water main to prevent possible damage from a burst pipe. If this isn’t an option, turn off your wash machine valve because this is the number one culprit to explode when no one is home.
- Be careful how much you check in on social media while on vacation. If your privacy settings are incorrect, you might reveal your vacant home to strangers!
We sincerely hope you stay safe and have a great vacation. It is worth repeating Prescott is a fantastic place for your vacation. It may be time to purchase a vacation home or a vacation rental. It may be time to call Prescott your home. Give BloomTree Realty a call, we would love to show you what is available. Contact us at (928) 443-8800.